By Jade Goble
Asking the right questions is key to finding the right aging care community. Jade Goble, client services director of Grove Pointe Assisted Living and Crescent Grove Memory & Personal Care, suggests using her checklist on your visits.
Location and curb appeal
- Is the community convenient to shopping and medical care facilities? To family and friends?
- Does community include access to greenspace for residents? Is it wheelchair accessible?
- Are grounds well maintained?
- Is lobby clean and well lit?
- Is reception area staffed, and are you greeted promptly?
- Is check-in process simple, while also being secure?
Observing as you go
- Does your tour guide greet staff and residents by name?
- Are you able to view the majority of the community, or is your tour limited to a small number of highlights?
- Is the community clean and odor-free?
Observing other residents
- How does your tour guide interact with residents who have a need or request?
- Are residents enjoying the common areas?
- Do residents appear well-groomed and appropriately dressed?
- Are tables clean and set?
- Are dirty dishes promptly removed, and does the floor appear to be swept/ vacuumed following each meal?
- Do residents appear to enjoy their meal selections?
For more information, check out these Caring Considerations while you’re searching for the right aging care community for you or a loved one.
August 17, 2018