Where a History of Service
Meets Modern Healthcare
In 1867, the first Masonic Home of its kind was established to support widows and orphans of Masons with housing, meals, clothing and health care. Today, Masonic offers daily living and specialized services to people of all ages, regardless of affiliation. Our campuses in Louisville, Shelbyville and Northern Kentucky make it easier than ever for those across the state to access our extensive continuum of care.
View our history timeline to learn more about how Masonic started and how it has grown into a modern day Continuing Care Retirement Community.
The Civil War leaves hundreds of widows and orphans. Kentucky Masons envision a Masonic Widows and Orphans Home and Infirmary in Louisville.
Charter approved by Kentucky Legislature.
The Home opens on April 7 near downtown Louisville.
From 1872-1884: A school is established for children. Practical industries become part of Home life, teaching residents shoemaking, printing, chair caning, cooking, gardening and canning, while also providing usable commodities.
The Old Mason’s Home, caring for elderly Masons, opens in Shelbyville.
Influx of children orphaned by World War I and the influenza epidemic overcrowds the Home. Plans commence to raise money for a new home on a larger site.
127 acres are acquired between the Louisville city limits and St. Matthews, and the cornerstone laid for construction of what would become a schoolhouse.
The New Home, designed to be a self-sufficient campus, is dedicated and residents move from the old Home.
Noted landscape architects the Olmsted Brothers completed the site’s master plan.
The largest population of children, 632, live at the Louisville home.
The Home’s on-campus school is closed and children living at the Home attend public schools.
The Home’s last orphan leaves, and it focuses on providing senior care, building The Pillars Assisted Care Center.
Masonic Widows and Orphans Home and Old Mason’s Home merge to become Masonic Homes Kentucky.
Six of the cottages that housed widows and orphans are renovated into senior apartments. The dining hall is renovated and renamed The Olmsted, becoming a Louisville landmark for events.
Spring Hill Village Retirement Community in Taylor Mill is established.
The Louisville Campus is named to the National Register of Historic Places.
Sally’s Garden, a memory care neighborhood, opens on the Louisville Campus.
The Pillars Assisted Living Community opens in Shelbyville. Masonic Home Alumni Association presents A Place Called Home, a bronze sculpture honoring Kentucky Masons, on the Louisville Campus.
Club Olmsted and The Bistro open in the lower level of The Olmsted, featuring a card room, art and craft studio, theater and billiard room.
Renovation at Masonic Home Shelbyville yields Rehabilitation Center, new dining venue and short-stay accommodations.
Sam Swope Care Center opens at offering person-centered care in a home environment unlike any other. Rehabilitation and dialysis are also offered.
Sproutlings Pediatric Day Care & Preschool at Kosair Charities Center opens on the Louisville Campus, the only program in the region serving medically fragile and typical children.
Miralea Active Lifestyle Community, the region’s only Life Care community, opens on the Louisville Campus.
Masonic and FirstLight Home Care form a joint venture to offer nonmedical in-home care.
Meadow Active Lifestyle Community, Grove Pointe Assisted Living Community and Care Clinic open on the Louisville Campus. Meadow is the second Life Care community in the region. FirstLight solely owned by Masonic.
Cresent Grove Memory & Personal Care Community opens. Kosair Charities gifts Sproutlings $1 million for new classrooms.
The Lusk Family Amphitheater was opened for resident activities.