Nearly 150 years of
history and counting

Over the course of almost 150 years, Masonic Homes of Kentucky has grown from a single-building home for widows and orphans to a multi-campus care provider for people of all ages.
1866

The Civil War leaves hundreds of widows and orphans. Kentucky Masons envision a Masonic Widows and Orphans Home and Infirmary in Louisville.

1867

Charter and incorporation documents for proposed home are finalized.

1871

The Home opens on April 7 near downtown Louisville.

1872

A school is established for orphans, teaching residents shoemaking, printing, cooking, gardening and canning, while also providing usable commodities.

1884
1901

The Old Mason’s Home opens east of Shelbyville.

1918

An influx of children orphaned by World War I and the influenza epidemic overcrowds the Home. Plans commence to raise money for a new home on a larger site.

1925

127 acres are acquired between the Louisville city limits and St. Matthews, and the cornerstone laid for construction of what would become a schoolhouse.

1926

New Home, designed to be a self-sufficient campus, is dedicated and residents move from the old Home.

1928

Noted landscape architects, the Olmsted Brothers, complete the site’s master plan.

1930

The largest population of children (632) live at the Louisville home.

1954

The Home’s on-campus school is closed and children living at the Home attend public schools.

1989

The Home’s last orphan leaves, and the Home focuses on providing senior care, building a personal care center with 104 accommodations.

1993

Masonic Widows and Orphans Home and Old Mason’s Home merge to form the Masonic Homes of Kentucky.

1997

Six of the cottages are renovated into senior apartments. The dining hall is renovated and renamed The Olmsted, becoming a Louisville landmark for events.

2001

Spring Hill Village Retirement Community in Taylor Mill is established.

2002

The Louisville campus is named to the National Register of Historic Places.

2004

A Masonic Home Museum opens in the old gymnasium, where the Masonic Homes of Kentucky corporate offices are located.

2006

The Feltman Community Center, including a fitness center, guest apartment, full kitchen and meeting rooms, opens for residents of Spring Hill Village.

2007

The Pillars Assisted Living Community, featuring 21 studio, one- and two-bedroom apartments, opens at Masonic Home of Shelbyville.

Masonic Home Alumni Association presents A Place Called Home, a bronze sculpture honoring the Masonic Homes and Kentucky Masons, to the Louisville campus.

2009

Renovation at Masonic Home of Shelbyville yields 2,200-square-foot Rehabilitation Center, new dining venue and short-stay accommodations.

Club Olmsted and The Bistro open. Featuring an art and craft studio, theater and billiard room, Club Olmsted is the center of Masonic Home Village life.

2010

The $40M Sam Swope Care Center opens, offering person-centered care in a homelike environment unlike any other. Rehabilitation and dialysis are also offered.

2011

Sproutlings Pediatric Day Care & Preschool opens on the Louisville campus, serving medically fragile and typical children.

2012

Miralea Active Lifestyle Community, the region’s first life care community, opens and offers 90 apartment residences and 12 patio homes.